Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Worker Bee

I know, I know, I'm a blog slacker, but honestly, I've been doing lots of work these past 2 weeks preparing for year end and audit (BOO!). Let's get caught up:
Kailyn was a rockin cheerleader at the Football game. She went to the clinic on Thursday and then cheered Friday night. She absolutely loved it!



Mandi and I's Garage Sale Friday night and Saturday morning was pretty successful. We both got rid of quite a bit of our stuff, while I also took lots home from Ayson's past wardrobe for Myer! After all was said and done on Saturday, I backed my car into Mandi's mom's driveway and got my 1 tub loaded (that's right, I went home with only 1!). I didn't move my car right away, because Adi was playing in there. After a little bit, though, I was going to move mine so that we could get Mandi's stuff loaded in the back of her van. HAHAHAHAHA! My battery was DEAD! It's struggled to start a few times here recently, and I told my hubby about it, but he hadn't gotten around to it yet. Luckily, #1 I was at Mandi's mom's house and #2 her hubby is a car wizard! He jumped my car and told me to go to O'Reilly's and get a new battery (he told me exactly what to say when I walked in so I'd get the right one). Anywho, I spent my Garage Sale earnings on a new battery and took it straight back to Andy. He had that bad boy changed in no time and I was ready to hit the road. Before I left, I was hanging out with Mandi, Andy, Adi and Ayson, just chatting. Adi was coloring and Ayson was playing the drums with some markers. As I got up to leave, Ayson was playing with a blue marker, and I just happened to look right at him when he finally figured out how to pull that darn lid off. I said, "Oh, Ayson, NO!", but it was too late. I pulled the marker out of his mouth and broke his little heart in the process. I had to have scared the poor guy AND I took away his cool toy, but he was a sport and still smiled for a picture (hey, most people pay very good money for a blue tooth):


Monday was pretty boring, Kailyn had dance and after we got home, we made homemade pizza. I think Myer is getting a little big for his britches (or my womb), because after I ate, I was laying back on the couch and he moved my entire stomach several times. Even his Daddy got to see! Myer doesn't take lightly to having people touch my belly to try and feel him kick, as soon as he feels any pressure on there, he immediately stops, so his anxious Daddy hasn't gotten to feel him but like once. Kailyn was watching for him too, and she pointed at my belly button (which is definitely more out than in these days) and said, "Oh look, Mom, I see a little baby arm". I said, "No, Boog, that's just my belly button". She is hilarious! On that note, I ordered some ProActive for my new-found acne recently (thank you, Myer). I got it in the mail this past week and started using it right away. Well Kailyn and I take baths together, so when I was washing my face with my new cleanser, she curiously asked what it was. I explained that sometimes when you get lots of pimples, you want to make sure and take care of them before they get out of control or even scar. She said, "Oh, so Joe should use some of that too, then?" I said, "You think?" and she said, "Yeah, he gets lots of pimples sometimes." I said, doing my best not to laugh hysterically, "Oh Joe just gets a few every now and then, but Mommy has lots of things going on right now in her body because your baby brother is in there." Joe didn't find that conversation as funny as I did!
Work calls, but I can't end this blog without one last tidbit. Yesterday in the big town of Marshall, where all we do is eat donuts and make babies (long story), the most wonderful and brand new Community Cancer Center had it's ribbon cutting ceremony. My mom, in case everyone doesn't know, is a survivor. She was diagnosed with breast cancer in August, 2008, underwent a lumpectomy soon after, found out that they didn't get it all and started chemotherapy followed by radiation, and still receives Herceptin (somewhat chemotherapy) every three weeks, which should be done in October. She went in August, 2009 for her yearly mammogram and "follow up" and was diagnosed CANCER FREE! Isn't that fantastic?! Anyway, she was very excited to go to the ribbon cutting and thank goodness she did. As the Mayor was in position to start cutting, they asked for all the survivors to come up and help. Below are the picture (my mama is on the front row in the navy blue shirt, jeans and flip flops) and article from http://www.marshallnews.com/ this afternoon:

It's official: Community Cancer Center dream now a realityWednesday, September 23, 2009By GEOFF RANDS/Staff writer From left, Shelly Arth, Stan Moore, Dr. Mark Tungesvik, Fred Utlaut, Dr. William Decker, unknown person, Dr. Tim Ryan, Donna Huston, Ron Duvall, Connie Latimer, Dr. Bedford Knipschild, Janice Roberts, unknown person, Bud Summers, Dorothy Clements, Christie Boedeker, Mike Davis, Virginia Huston, Ken Yowell, Dr. Jack Uhrig, Georgia Yates, Gary Grote, George Brown, Ron Ott, Makenzie Thomason, Mallorie Hejmej, Dennis Sousley, Belinda Stephens, Heather Bourbon and Jene Crook. A number of other community leaders were present but cannot be seen in the photo.(Geoff Rands/Democrat-News)
Several people involved in the creation of the Community Cancer Center addition to Fitzgibbon Hospital spoke during the ribbon-cutting ceremony Tuesday afternoon, Sept. 22.
"Thanks go out to the thousands -- and I say thousands -- of people who worked thousands of hours and worked so hard to make our dreams a reality," said Fitzgibbon Hospital President and CEO Ron Ott. "Without you, and so many people from every community around Marshall, this just simply wouldn't be possible. Some people said it couldn't be done. Well, we're here today to say that it could be, and we did do it, we being thousands of people."
The center, said Ott, was six years in the making.
"I said recently, the best thing would be if we never needed this. It'd be the best $4 million we've ever invested, but the reality is we're going to need it and it's good that we have a quality program here for you," said Ott.
A number of staff were introduced to those present, including radiation oncologist Dr. William Decker and medical oncologist Dr. Mark Tungesvik, chemotherapy nurse Belinda Stephens, radiation therapist Heather Bourbon, radiation therapist Mallorie Hejmej and office manager Makenzie Thomason.
Co-chair for the capital campaign Dr. Jack Uhrig gave a few remarks to the crowd, saying, "We didn't get any stimulus money, we didn't get any tax support, we didn't get any bailout money, we didn't get any rebate on this, you all raised all that money. ... You should be proud of that."
He continued, "It's $2 million for that linear accelerator, another $500,000 for some of the building, another $500,000 for some of the furnishings, but the time my patients (don't have to spend driving) down to Columbia ... is what we call priceless."
Board Chairman Fred Utlaut added to Uhrig's statements, saying, "We didn't get any stimulus money, but we had a lot of stimulated people out there that went to work."
"Without all of you, this wouldn't have happened," said Marshall Mayor Connie Latimer, "and it makes me extremely proud, on behalf of the city, to thank each of you for what you did, for your part, no matter how big or how small, everything that you did to make this happen."
State Rep. Joe Aull, D-Marshall, spoke of many additions to Marshall and how each had their naysayers, including Salt Fork YMCA, Jim the Wonder Dog Park, Martin Community Center and Nicholas-Beazley Aviation Museum, yet each of these have seen plenty of use since their completion.
"This is the same thing. I'm sure there were people saying, 'Oh, you don't put cancer centers in small towns, they go in big cities.
Marshall can never put this together,' and look what's happened. And thanks for those of you who had the vision and the guts to stand up and say, 'Why not?' 'What if?' and 'Let's make it happen,'" Aull said.
Ott then invited cancer survivors, board members, staff members, all those who made the center possible and "anyone else who'd like to come up" to step forward and help cut the ribbon to mark the Community Cancer Center's opening.
Attendees were then welcomed inside the center and given a chance to tour the facility, see the linear accelerator and have some cake and punch.

I'll be back after Thursday night's heart wrenching 2 hour season premiere of Grey's Anatomy! I can't freaking wait! Have a lovely Wednesday!

1 comment:

  1. That's great that your Mom was able to take part in the ribbon cutting ceremony, that's special for her I'm sure.

    That pic of Ayson is too freakin cute. He is a handsome little man for sure!

    ReplyDelete