Monday, August 17, 2009

Dumpster Diving

So please let me explain before you have my child taken away from me. My husband mows several residential lawns in Marshall, as I'm sure everyone knows. He bags all the lawns, and when his bag fills, he dumps the clippings into the back of his truck. At the end of the day, his truck bed is usual super full, so he takes it to the Marshall Landfill or "Dump" to empty it. This past Saturday, he did just that, just like every other Saturday of the mowing season. But this one was different. A little four legged terrier mix of some kind was also at the dump and was instantly glued to Joe. Unfortunately, Joe and I are both soft-hearts for dogs. He opened his truck door, and the little guy jumped right in. (By the way, it was raining like crazy, so that made it even worse!) Joe went to all the houses up and down from the dump and the dog didn't belong to anyone. One woman said she sees people dump dogs in front of her house all the time. So of course, armed with his own best puppy face and a little male dog that looks just like Missy (a little taller, a little longer hair, and black instead of brown), Joe brought the little guy home. I gave him a bath and clipped his toenails and Joe put some Advantix on him for safety. He's a nice little fella. The fur around his neck looks like he's been wearing a collar. So today I am going to e-mail the kind people at KMMO and see what I can do about advertising a Found Dog. We started calling him Jack because "dog", "dude" and "buddy" just weren't working. The last thing we need is another dog. We just recently decided that we aren't giving Marli everything she needs. When I bent down to pet Jack for the first time, Marli ran at me full force, and when she tried to skid to a stop, she rammed me. I fell on my rear with a thud! Joe was really upset.....we both were. She has knocked Kailyn over several times in excitement, but we have always blamed that on Marli's age. The realism is, she is almost 4 years old and has been spade for 2 years. We know it's not her fault that she has so much energy, but we just don't have enough time to exercise her like she needs. I also think she doesn't understand why the little dogs can get on our laps or on the furniture, but she can't. We have failed her. We have both decided that no matter what happens with Jack, we will have to find Marli a new home before the baby is born.
Enough sad stuff.....yeah right. My baby started kindergarten this morning. We picked out her clothes last night and went over a few last minute reminders about starting school. This morning we were up bright and early! Kailyn had breakfast and watched t.v. while I got ready, then I got her ready and took some pictures, and we were out. I walked her in this morning, (although, she says tomorrow she will walk in alone) and we met her teacher, Mrs. Davis in the hallway. Mrs. Davis asked if she could take Kailyn and show her where she will go in the mornings, and Kailyn just let go of my hand and went. I had to stop them just to get a kiss goodbye and tell her to have a great day! What a grown up girl. Not me, of course, but I did save the tears until I got out to the car. I was proud of both of us, her for being so grown up and me for not bawling like a baby in front of everyone at her school! They get out at 12:30pm today and tomorrow, so I am going to pick her up very soon and take her to my Gma's house for a playdate. What a day!
Well, people, it's the Nooner, and that's means lunchtime for this prego, so please have a great Monday. And if you're interested in a small mall terrier or a brindle female bull mastiff, or know anyone who is, please let me know! Thanks!

2 comments:

  1. That little Jack is such a cutie. Do you guys have a fenced in back yard? Just keep Marli back there if you do. You should keep them both so they can be buds and play with eachother and not you guys all of the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would be great if Marli didn't dig, but we would have huge pot holes in our back yard if she stayed back there. We've tried everything to fix that too - shock collar, chilly powder, her own poop - it didn't help. And Jack is a trickster and gets right out of the backyard unless you're back there with him. We're up a creek.

    ReplyDelete