Friday, September 3, 2010

The St. Bernard is a very large breed of working dog from the Swiss Alps, originally bred for rescue. The breed has become famous through tales of alpine rescues, as well as for its large size.

Meet Kaytee:Kaytee was born in January of 1999, my senior year in high school. When her litter was born, my dad and I went over and picked her out amongst all of her little furry brothers and sisters. The girl who owned Kaytee's mother, Annie, weaned the pups early, and she came home at 6 weeks, on Valentine's Day. The first night was pretty rough. Kaytee cried just like a new baby. I would get up with her, get her settled down and then put her back in her makeshift bed. Once that night I woke up and couldn't find her anywhere. Right when I started to really freak out, I found her wedged between my pillow and the couch. I apparently had fallen asleep before I got her put back in bed! Over the years, Kaytee has gotten a little too big to wedge anywhere on the couch. She's got a bad case of hip dysplasia and an ornery attitude. She LOVES my dad, sister and me and doesn't really care about anyone else, unless you're messing with one of us! A couple of years ago, Kaytee's vet found a tumor on her side and said it was cancerous. My dad ok'd the surgery, but it was pretty risky. They didn't know if it was attached to any organs or if it had spread at all. Jordan, Penny and I went to the vet's office the night before the surgery and told Kaytee good bye, because if the tumor was too much to handle, the vet was just going to leave her asleep. Kaytee obviously knew better. As Jordan and I were in her face bawling like babies and tried to tell her good bye, she turned her head like she was mad. I think she wanted to say, "Thanks for the vote of confidence, bitches!". Anywho, she made it through the surgery and was 4 pounds lighter from the tumor removal! She even acted a bit younger for a while, jumping around and acting crazy. Last night my dad called me. He said he had a dog dilemma. He said Kaytee has hot spots again. The medicine to cure them makes her have to potty every hour if not more. At this point, Kaytee doesn't walk very well. Getting up and down is a chore, as well as squatting to go to the bathroom. When she comes in from outside, she breathes like a freight train because she is so worn out. The average life span of a St. Bernard is 8-10 years. Kaytee is 11. Recently, Kaytee's vet just up and moved away. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm sure there are plenty of good vet's, but I am extremely partial to mine. Tom is beyond amazing. I've known their family for as long as I remember, and I hung out with their sons tons in high school. My dad called to ask me if I thought he should talk to Tom about Kaytee. I told him that I felt Tom was very open and honest about what needed to be done for our animals, but he wasn't pushy. Dad felt good about that. Unfortunately, I think we both know what Tom's going to say. Honestly, Kaytee can't even load into a vehicle to go to the vet's office because her hips are so bad now. Dad will have to ask Tom to go to his house. I know he will, because he's that caring. Wow. In the last year, my mom has put down her 13 year old miniature schnauzer, Beau, due to tumors and her 2 year old tundra shepard, Roxy, due to a bone chip, and while I know I should be super positive, I don't think it's possible.
Sorry to be a "Debbie Downer", but my heart and mind are heavy today :(

3 comments:

  1. I am so sorry I just wanted to let you know I am thinking about you all! I know how our animals become part of the family. It's so hard but I will be praying for you your family and for Kaytee. :) Hang in there!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much. The realization is that Kaytee has outlived most St.Bernard's. 11 years and 8 months is definitely a full life. I really appreciate your support! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I am sorry Aimee. It is so hard to lose a pet---they are truly like family. Bella is my first dog, I always grew up with a cat for a pet & never had a dog until her. We have only had her a year, but I would be just lost if something happened to her. Sending you all strength & support on this tough day....

    ReplyDelete