Friday, May 28, 2010

Crazy

I have decided that I am certifiably crazy. For those who know me, this probably does not come as a shock. Oh well, I guess you only live once, right?
When Joe and I found Marli a new home, our hearts broke. We loved her SO much, but having a big dog just didn't mesh well with our family life. Joe started researching dogs the weekend following her move. He's never had a purebred puppy from a breeder for himself. Missy is a pound rescue and Morgan is a purebred, but I had her when we got together. We talked rationally about what kind of dog we might like and what breed would be a perfect fit for us and the kids. After some gruesome googling we decided that when the time came to get a puppy, we would go with a cairn terrier (a Toto dog). Around the beginning of April, I e-mailed a 26-year breeder in Ashland, MO about cairn puppies. She didn't have any at the current time, but was expecting 3 litters, and promised to e-mail me if there were any black males. Yesterday I got an e-mail. Lila, one of her mamas, had a litter on May 17th and there is one black/brindle male. There is another party interested, but she is giving us first dibs since we were on the waiting list. Are you kidding me? So all day I weighed the pros and cons of a new puppy, and they are pretty much level. When I got home, I told Joe we needed to have a serious talk. I pulled up the e-mail and showed him this.
I told him all the pros and cons I had mulled over all day and he promised that the pros would outweigh the cons if we worked together. It didn't help that he grinned from ear to ear the second I showed him the picture. He wants a storage shed for the backyard for his mower and the kids' outside vehicles really bad that we're saving for, but said he would put it off for 2 years (we're going on a vacation next year for my 30th birthday) and he would accept the puppy as his Father's Day and Christmas presents for 2010. Now that's serious. Who am I to crush his dreams? We're waiting on an e-mail from the breeder to see pictures of the parents, but if Joe likes them, we will put a deposit on Ozzy immediately. Ozzy.....get it? Wizard of Oz! That's good, right?
One week down, only one more to go until Kailyn is at home, in her bed, in the room next to mine!!!!!

3 comments:

  1. Aawww.......I LOVE puppies!!! Post more pics when you get some!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought you might like this post, Aly! I'll keep you updated as he grows!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes please do and I've seen that breed around here on walks and they are so freakin adorable! Maked me want to possibly get one down the road.

    ReplyDelete